Sunday, November 20, 2005

Wireless PCI Cards

This was a recent discovery for me, thanks to members at Digital Share and Aussie Nintendo forums. In addition to Nintendo's Wi-Fi dongle, local hotspots and wireless routers providing access for Wi-Fi games, PCI cards are another alternative. Apparantly, once installed they create a wireless network on your pc, and the Nintendo WFC can pick up and use it as an access point. This is great news for those who (like me) are unable to obtain a wireless router or Nintendo dongle.

Wireless PCI cards can be bought from computer and electronics retailers. I've been told that some older and perhaps cheaper PCI cards do not support Wi-Fi, so make sure the one you're purchasing is adaquate for Nintendo online. They cost as low as $40 if you know where to buy them, for me this will be at Big Ben Computer tomorrow (bigbencomputer.com.au). Otherwise they can cost you up to $200 from places such as DSE or Officeworks.

Obviously, they fit into your PC's PCI slot (same connection shared by other pheripherals like dialup modems and sound cards). And once the drivers are installed, and you are connected to a broadband internet connection, your PC is a wireless hotspot. Or so I have been told :).

I am going to buy a wireless PCI card tomorrow, I'll tell you guys how it works out :). If it really connects, I'll see you on MKDS Wi-Fi :P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You haven't updated your blog in 3 days! What's up? Too busy or somethin'?

CK said...

Yeah, I've recently purchased a wireless PCI card and am trying to set it up as an access point. Long story there -_-, but I've almost gotten the thing to work, will post results on the blog it if works out :).